Welcome!

Welcome to Natasha's Creative Confections! If you have stumbled upon this blog page, then you're in for a real treat! One of my favorite things to do is bake. If you choose to read on you will find pictures and recipes of some of the fabulous treats that I have created. So take a look around and enjoy!

Monday, February 20, 2012

Homemade Chicken Pot Pie


So, I know chicken pot pie isn't the type of recipe I usually post on my blog, but I haven't been baking a whole lot lately. I don't know if it's been my hectic work schedule or my new obsession with the TV show Gossip Girl haha, but the only thing that I've baked recently was a batch of red velvet cupcakes, which I've already posted about.

However, I did make a scrumptious chicken pot pie last night for dinner, and since you do bake the pot pie, I thought it would be appropriate to share! (Plus, after trying a bite of this dish, you'll be happy I shared it!)

I am honestly not a big fan of CPP, but after trying this homemade recipe, I am changing my colors and I definitely will be making this again--and soon too! This recipe is from the March 2012 issue of Everyday Food.

Ingredients:

For the crust:
-1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour, plus more for workspace
-1 tsp. sugar
-1/4 tsp. fine salt
-1/2 c. cold, unsalted butter
-3-5 Tbsp. ice water

For the filling:
-5 Tbsp. unsalted butter
-1 med. yellow onion, diced small
-4 med. carrots, diced small
-2 garlic cloves, minced
-1/2 c. all-purpose flour
-4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
-1 c. frozen peas
-coarse salt and black pepper
-3 c. shredded cooked chicken
-a little dried parsley

1. Make crust: In a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, and salt. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining. Sprinkle with 3 Tbsp. ice water. Pulse until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed (if necessary, add up to 2 Tbsp. ice water); do not overmix. Form dough into a disk, wrap tightly in plastic, and refrigerate until firm, 1 hour or overnight (or freeze, up to 1 month.)

2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Make filling: In a large pot, melt butter over med-high heat. Add onion and carrots and cook until softened, 5-8 mins. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add flour and stir to coat vegetables.


Slowly add broth, whisking constantly until sauce is smooth. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer until thickened, 5-7 mins.
Stir in peas. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in chicken and parsley.


Pour filling into 2-qt. baking dish.

3. On a floured work surface, roll out dough to 1/8 in. thickness. Place dough over dish and fold overhang inward while pinching to crimp edge. Cut vents in dough.

Place dish on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling around edge, 40-50 mins. Let cool 15 mins. before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment