Welcome!

Welcome to Natasha's Creative Confections! If you have stumbled upon this blog page, then you're in for a real treat! One of my favorite things to do is bake. If you choose to read on you will find pictures and recipes of some of the fabulous treats that I have created. So take a look around and enjoy!

Monday, July 25, 2011

Raspberry Chocolate Chip Scones


Last Saturday morning, before we left for Disneyland, I whipped up a batch of raspberry chocolate scones so we could have for the drive. I had frozen raspberries in my freezer and wanted to use them for something. I love scones, so I thought I would look for a good recipe to make a raspberry scone. I was surprised at how many different ones I found, so I decided to go with one that had chocolate, of course. YUM!

I found this recipe online--it actually comes from the Joy of Baking, and it was pretty quick and simple to make. The only thing that I struggled with was the frozen raspberries because they just stained up the entire batter--so it looked pinkish/purple. Oh well...they still ended up tasting fine :) Maybe next time I'll have to go with fresh raspberries with a little flour absorbed into them to prevent staining--(and they wouldn't be so cold to touch either!).

If you know of any good scone recipes, send them my way! I would love to experiment with new flavors!


Ingredients:
-2 cups all purpose flour
-1/3 cup granulated sugar
-1 tsp. baking powder
-1 tsp. baking soda
-1/4 tsp. salt
-6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
-2 ounces dark chocolate chunks or chips
-3/4 c. fresh or frozen raspberries
-1/2 c. whole milk plain yogurt---> I substituted buttermilk
-1 tsp. vanilla extract
-1 large egg, lightly beaten



1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and place rack in middle of oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda & salt. Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or two knives. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs.



Stir in the chocolate chunks (chips) and raspberries.

3. In a small measuring cup, whisk together the yogurt (or buttermilk), vanilla extract, and egg. Add this mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until the dough comes together. Do not over mix.

4. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough gently four or five times and then pat, or roll, the dough into a circle that is about 7 inches round and about 1 1/2 inches thick. Cut the dough into 8 triangles. Place the scones on the baking sheet.


5. Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment