Welcome!

Welcome to Natasha's Creative Confections! If you have stumbled upon this blog page, then you're in for a real treat! One of my favorite things to do is bake. If you choose to read on you will find pictures and recipes of some of the fabulous treats that I have created. So take a look around and enjoy!

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Brown Butter Cookies


There is this cookie company down in Cayucos, CA called Brown Butter Cookie Company and they make these adorable and really tasty brown butter cookies. They are almost like a shortbread cookie--made with brown butter and topped with a pinch of sea salt.

I was craving one the other day...so I thought I would try and find a recipe to see if I could make them, or at least something similar. As I was preparing to make these, I was thinking to myself that these cookies sound so simple. I was wondering if they were going to taste good--does the brown butter change the flavor of the cookie? I was yet to find out.

The only part of the recipe I was worried about was (the main part of course!), browning the butter. The butter is supposed to turn a nut brown color, but my butter started getting very dark brown flakes floating around in it, while the butter was still a yellowish color! After a few minutes, I took it off the heat (I was scared it was partially burning!) and let it sit to cool slightly, and noticed the yellow color changed into a nice nut brown. There were still the specks of dark brown, but it didn't smell burnt, so I decided to roll along with the recipe.

After all the ingredients were mixed together, I tasted the dough to make sure it was usable, and was overwhelmed with this amazing nutty, vanilla-y flavor :) I was excited to see how the cookies would turn out! After I baked and let them cool, I tasted one and it was really good! The inside of the cookie was more soft than the Brown Butter Cookie Company cookie, but the flavor was awesome! These cookies are pretty cute and have a nice golden brown look to them. And the brown butter really changes the flavor of the cookie! Hope you try them sometime!

Ingredients:
-1 1/2 c. butter
-2 c. brown sugar
-2 eggs
-2 tsp. vanilla extract
-1 tsp. baking soda
-1/2 tsp. baking powder
-1/2 tsp. salt
-3 c. all-purpose flour
-2/3 c. chopped pecans

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Heat butter over medium heat for ~5 minutes, until it turns nut brown in color. The foaming and bubbling is part of the browning process, but watch it carefully so you don't burn the butter. Remove from heat and cool slightly.



3. Pour butter into a large mixing bowl. Beat browned butter with brown sugar until it is no longer hot. Mix in eggs, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Beat thoroughly. Mix in flour and chopped pecans.


Drop tablespoons of dough onto ungreased baking sheets.


4. Bake for 10 minutes, or until light brown around the edges. Cool on wire cooling racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment