Welcome to Natasha's Creative Confections! If you have stumbled upon this blog page, then you're in for a real treat! One of my favorite things to do is bake. If you choose to read on you will find pictures and recipes of some of the fabulous treats that I have created. So take a look around and enjoy!
Friday, June 1, 2012
Cupcake #2: Wake Up and Smell the Scandal Carrot Cupcakes
Like I said, all these cupcakes have funny little titles that have to do with the main character in the book. So, carrot cupcakes...mmm mmm, these are a little different than I'm used to making--they have chocolate! :) and cherries instead of raisins and included in the batter is a grated Granny Smith apple. I was surprised by the changed ingredients than what's usually in a carrot cake, but that's why this is a fun project--to experiment with new ingredients! Very tasty!
Ingredients for cupcakes:
-3 eegs, room temp.
-1 c. vegetable oil
-1 tsp. vanilla extract
-6 carrots, coarsely grated
-1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and coarsely grated
-1 1/2 c. sugar
-2 c. all-purpose flour
-2 tsp. baking soda
-2 tsp. ground cinnamon
-1 tsp. salt
-2 Tbsp. potato starch
-1/2 c. dried cherries
-1/2 c. chopped pecans
-1/2 c. chocolate chips
-1/2 c. sweetened flaked coconut
To make the cupcakes:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place ~18 (I got 20 out of the recipe) paper liners into cupcake trays.
2. In a bowl, whisk flour, sugar, potato starch, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together.
3. Stir in carrots, cherries, pecans, chocolate chips, coconut and apple.
4. Whisk eggs, oil and vanilla in another bowl, then add to flour mixture until just combined.
5. Pour batter into lined cupcake tray, filling to the top.
6. Turn oven down to 350 degrees F. Bake ~20 minutes, or until springy to the touch.
7. Cool in pans for 5 minutes, and then turn out onto a rack.
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting:
-1 c. softened, unsalted butter
-8 ounces softened cream cheese
-2 tsp. vanilla extract
-4 c. powdered sugar
*optional* -1/2 tsp. lemon extract (I added this because I think it gives it a little extra flavor!)
**This makes a double batch of frosting, which I wanted to use to pipe onto the cupcakes. If you don't want that much, cut it in half**To make the frosting:
1. Cream butter, cream cheese and vanilla together with an electric mixer until fluffy, about 3-5 mins.
2. Add sugar and beat until smooth.
3. Frost cooled cupcakes either with a frosting spatula, or pipe on with frosting bag and tip of your choice.
Decorate how you like :) I topped the cupcakes with gold sprinkles and a toasted pecan.