Welcome!

Welcome to Natasha's Creative Confections! If you have stumbled upon this blog page, then you're in for a real treat! One of my favorite things to do is bake. If you choose to read on you will find pictures and recipes of some of the fabulous treats that I have created. So take a look around and enjoy!

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Peach & Cherry Cobblers!



I made two different cobblers for dessert last week--peach and cherry! My family came over for dinner and I wanted to try a different dessert. The last time I saw my mom, she mentioned something about cherry cobbler, so that was my inspiration to try it!

I found these recipes online--and they really were pretty simple! The cherry one only took about 10 minutes + baking time. The peach was a little more work (it had more steps since the crust is almost an actual pie crust instead of just a crumble), but it still didn't take very long!

I had never made cobbler before. There is an amazing homemade cobbler at this BBQ restaurant we go to in Cotati--Porter Street BBQ, and I absolutely love it. My homemade cobbler was good, but not as good as this one! The cherry is super tasty--and so is the peach! They also have an apple one, that I'm sure is out of this world too! I especially wanted to try and recreate the cherry one--ever since I was little, I have LOVED cherry pie since I was a kid, so making a good cobbler was something I wanted to experience. Both cobblers were great!

Recipe for Cherry Cobbler:

~Ingredients~
1 can cherry pie filling
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup quick cooking oatmeal
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 to 4 tablespoons chopped pecans
butter-flavored vegetable spray

~Preparation~
Spray a 2-quart casserole with cooking spray. Pour cherry pie filling into casserole. Mix butter, oatmeal, flour, sugar and pecans until crumbly; sprinkle over cherry pie filling. Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes.
Serves 8.

Recipe for Peach Cobbler:

~Ingredients~

For the Filling:
2 cups sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
8 cups sliced, fresh peaches
1/2 teaspoon almond extract or vanilla extract
1/4 cup melted butter

For the Pastry:
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup shortening
4 tablespoons ice water
1/3 cup melted butter
1/4 cup sugar

~Preparation~
Butter a 9x13-inch baking dish. Preheat oven to 400°.

Filling:
Combine sugar and cornstarch; toss with peaches. Add the almond or vanilla extract and the 1/4 cup melted butter; set aside.

Pastry: Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut shortening into the flour micture until it is the consistency of cornmeal. Gradually add ice water, stirring, just until the dough holds its shape. Roll out on a floured board and cut into strips. Pour the peach filling mixture into the prepared baking pan. Criss-cross dough strips over the filling and brush pastry generously with remaining butter. Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 30 minutes or until the crust is brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment