Welcome!

Welcome to Natasha's Creative Confections! If you have stumbled upon this blog page, then you're in for a real treat! One of my favorite things to do is bake. If you choose to read on you will find pictures and recipes of some of the fabulous treats that I have created. So take a look around and enjoy!

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies...if I dare!




Okay...Chocolate Chip Cookies are pretty much the HARDEST thing for me to make, if you can believe that. I have tried so many different recipes, and while they usually come out tasting good, I can never get the consistency that I want. I end up with thin, sometimes falling apart chocolate chip cookies and it irritates me to no end! When I was a kid we used to make the best chocolate chip cookies and I cannot seem to recreate them, no matter how hard I try. I've used different butters, adjusted the temperature on the oven, even switched how I add the ingredients to see if it has anything to do with the chemistry of the way they mix together. But, always, they turn out to be super thin. I'm happy with how they taste, but would be ecstatic if one time they came out just a wee bit thicker :)

This recipe that I used came from this cute little cookbook that I have, Bride & Groom, First and Forever Cookbook, and they turned out the same way, but that was how they were supposed to be, so I can't say that I did anything wrong :) They are chewy and simple--just chocolate chips, no nuts (even thought you could add some toasted walnuts or pecans and I think they would be pretty tasty!), but I think everyone loves the taste of a simple chocolate chip cookie. These chewy delights are pretty great actually! You can really taste the brown sugar and the vanilla. It brings out so much flavor! My husband agrees and thinks they are great, so I suppose I didn't completely fail in making chocolate chip cookies for, oh i don't know, the hundredth time? :)

I am still searching for the perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie, but if you're looking for a chewy delight, try this recipe!



Ingredients:
- 1 c. plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (i stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1 c. semisweet chocolate chips

1. Stir together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Stir together the egg and vanilla in a small bowl. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar on medium speed until just mixed, about 20-30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the egg mixture to the butter mixture and beat well, about 10-20 seconds. Reduce the speed to low, slowly add the dry ingredients, and beat until just incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips.



3. Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.



4. Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough 2 in. apart onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake until the cookies are golden brown, 10-12 minutes (even if they seem underdone). Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 2-3 minutes, then transfer the cookies to wire racks and let cool completely.



These cookies taste delicious while they're still warm, so grab one after they cool for a few minutes! :)

2 comments:

  1. look for a recipe with shortening in it... that always makes mine a little more fluffy!

    ReplyDelete