Welcome!

Welcome to Natasha's Creative Confections! If you have stumbled upon this blog page, then you're in for a real treat! One of my favorite things to do is bake. If you choose to read on you will find pictures and recipes of some of the fabulous treats that I have created. So take a look around and enjoy!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Coconut Cupcakes



I was SO excited to make these cupcakes....and then, I wasn't.

They turned out nothing like they were supposed to. The recipe I had wanted to recreate ended up not happening...so I had to makeshift and change A LOT of things in order for these cupcakes to take form.

Where shall I begin?

So, I made a list of things I needed to pick up from the store. I went and thought I had picked up everything I needed. This recipe seemed as if it was going to be a lot of work, so I kept going back and forth between making them and not making them. I finally convinced myself I was going to, so I began to make the cupcake part. And then, of course, I realized I didn't have all the ingredients I needed. I didn't have cupcake liners, I didn't have enough eggs to make the custard filling...I was frustrated and I already had the batter finished!

Let me break it down. The cupcake itself was coconut. There was supposed to be this elaborate and yummy sounding filling that you inserted after they baked, which was also a key component of making the coconut frosting to pipe on top! I had to cut out the filling AND the frosting. I was not a happy camper at this point. What was I going to do?



While the cupcakes were baking, (and they didn't even smell like cake was baking so I was slightly concerned) I thought of what would taste good with coconut and decided a chocolate frosting should compliment it pretty well. Who doesn't like chocolate and coconut? :) I used a frosting recipe that I had made before, but I don't know if I was flustered or what, and it didn't turn out like I was hoping. It was a little on the thin side...too thin to pipe on, so I just had to use a small spatula and spread it on. These cupcakes were already pretty depressing looking since I didn't have liners and they didn't ease their way out of the tins very well...so I just topped these little disasters with some shredded coconut and called it good.



When my husband came home from work he tried one and described them as being "not bad". I was too scared to try one because I didn't think they would be very good. I was convinced that they wouldn't be very good because of how they looked and their lack of scrumptious smell during baking. I had a small bite the next day and, and wouldn't you know it? I was actually surprised that they weren't bad at all! I had made them for a group meeting at church and everyone there seemed to really like them. I don't know what I was so worried about this whole time...

I guess you always need to taste the things you bake before you discredit yourself completely :)



*If you would like the recipe, leave me a comment and I'd be happy to send it to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment