Welcome!

Welcome to Natasha's Creative Confections! If you have stumbled upon this blog page, then you're in for a real treat! One of my favorite things to do is bake. If you choose to read on you will find pictures and recipes of some of the fabulous treats that I have created. So take a look around and enjoy!

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Homemade Harvest Apple Crisp






I know, I know...it's not fall, but can't I pretend? I miss the fall season a lot and making this delicious dessert made me realize just how much. Don't get me wrong...I am looking forward to spring coming (hopefully soon!) but there is something about fall that just makes me smile inside. Maybe it's the thought of the holidays approaching and how special it is to be around family at that time. Maybe because the leaves are changing colors and there is a new crispness in the air. Maybe it's just because I LOVE to bake in the fall with the apples that are in season and all the different things you can make with the oh so miraculous pumpkin :) I think it is probably a combination of all of those...

But anyway, here I am...in the month of March, sharing a recipe for a homemade Harvest Apple Crisp. I've made this dessert a few times, and I honestly don't think the month matters...it tastes good all the time. Whenever you have a craving for an apple-cinnamon combo, I suggest you make this. It is very quick and simple and will always come out tasting perfect. Everyone I have made this for has tried it and loved it. I hope you do as well :)

Filling:
-5 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch pieces
-1/2 cup granulated sugar
-2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
-Contents of 1 vanilla bean, or 1 tsp. vanilla extract
-1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
-1/2 tsp. nutmeg
-1/4 tsp. salt

Streusel Topping:
-1/2 cup unsalted butter
-1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
-1/4 tsp. salt
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1/3 cup rolled-oats or quick-cooking oats

~ Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.

To Make the Filling:
Combine the apples, granulated sugar, lemon juice, contents of 1 vanilla bean, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in an 8-inch square glass baking dish and mix well. Set aside.

To Make the Streusel Topping:
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat, and stir in the brown sugar and salt. Add the flour and oatmeal and stir until just incorporated. Do not overwork. Crumble the mixture evenly over the apple filling. (If your kitchen is warm and humid, the mixture may resemble cookie dough. That is OK. Simply crumble the pieces over the apples.) Put the baking dish on a baking sheet and bake until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbling, 40-50 minutes.

*Serve yourself a scoopful (with or without some tasty vanilla ice cream), eat, and enjoy!

3 comments: