Welcome!

Welcome to Natasha's Creative Confections! If you have stumbled upon this blog page, then you're in for a real treat! One of my favorite things to do is bake. If you choose to read on you will find pictures and recipes of some of the fabulous treats that I have created. So take a look around and enjoy!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Creme Brulee




Have you ever had Creme Brulee before? It is DELICIOUS! and if you haven't tried it, I suggest you give it a taste! It is such an amazing dessert and I was happy to make this and share it with my family when they came to visit. My sister had never had it before, so it was nice to have her try a homemade one.

Yes, this is a rich dessert, and obviously not the healthiest, but who eats it everyday? :) It is definitely a treat to have and if you want to make your own, it really isn't that hard!

My favorite part is the top. I love the caramelized taste of the sugar and the crunch, but it would be hard to eat just the top! The custard is amazing too. I was really glad that everyone enjoyed it. It's a special dessert that you don't get to make everyday!

Ingredients:
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 Tbsp. white sugar, divided
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar.



1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Beat egg yolks, 4 Tbsp. sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl until thick and creamy.
3. Pour cream into a saucepan and stir over low heat until it almost comes to boil. Remove the cream from heat immediately. Stir cream into the egg yolk mixture; beat until combined.
4. Pour cream mixture into the top of a double boiler. Stir over simmering water until the mixture lightly coats the back of a spoon; around 3 minutes. Remove from heat and pour into a shallow heat-proof dish. (I used 1 large dish and some small ramekins. Either is fine, but be sure to watch how long you cook them!)




5. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool to room temp. Refrigerate for 1 hour, or overnight.
6. Preheat oven to broil. (--> I don't have a broiler, so I used my small torch to caramelize the sugar!)



7. In a small bowl, combine remaining 2 Tbsp. white sugar and brown sugar. Sift this mixture evenly over custard. Place dish under broiler (or torch it!), until sugar melts, about 2 minutes. Watch carefully so as not to burn.
8. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Refrigerate until custard is set again.



You will enjoy this dessert! Promise :)




No comments:

Post a Comment